At the time of my last update I had just dropped off the Coupe at Metal Morphous (MM) in Connecticut. Since then MM has provided me with weekly updates, and I was able to stop by last week while travelling in that vicinity. MM is being very deliberate and methodical. When sanding down the “seams”, they are careful to discover any air (or gas) pockets that may have developed in the original fiberglass mold process. MM advises that such pockets are typical, but that if you paint without filling them, they will later reveal themselves as defects in the paint job.
MM is filling the air pockets, but that requires re-glassing, time for curing, re-sand, wash, repeat, etc.
I was pleased to see how MM was able to significantly improve the fitting of the doors and hood. The lines/gaps are looking great.
In the meantime, I prepped the remaining metal parts (door sills, wheel wells/splash guards, etc.) by cleaning and coating with Sharkhide. I also found someone to bind the edges of the carpet that will sit on the hatch floor area (so I can flip it up for access, without it fraying).
I also took the opportunity to re-do the floor of my garage. I used Racedeck brand garage floor tiles. I designed a checkered pattern with a blue outline for each bay. The whole tiles go down fairly easy, snapping together. The partial tiles take a little time to measure and cut, but overall a fairly easy project (and not much more expensive than the high end garage floor paints if you do the proper acid-wash etching first).
I hope to see primer and paint on the Coupe in August, and have her back in the garage for final assembly some time in September.