Work in May and June has been geared towards getting the car ready to go to the body/paint shop. There will still be work to do after the paint (re-assemble all exterior pieces, prep and install firewall extensions, wheel wells, door sills, carpeting, etc.). However, getting the car to paint is a major milestone.
I completed the metal duct work in front of the radiator. FFR provided no guidance regarding how to fit these pieces. I may want to add a fan shroud later to maximize air flow through the radiator.
With the hood up, engine is looking splendid. Sounds great too.
I set the rear hatch glass in place. My son Zach helped adjust the u-bolt to catch the lock handle. The FFR manual says to bolt the struts to a chassis tube. But that is difficult because at this stage the tube is hidden under the fiberglass body and the metal sides of the hatch.
I fitted the headlight covers. The plexi provided is over-sized and I spent an entire day gently grinding down the edges to make the fit as nice as possible. Here the covers are fitted with clecos. I will have to remove them before paint.
I removed the body (which required removing the side pipes, and seats) so I could do a few more things: added weather-stripping where the body sits on the chassis, added Dynamat sound barrier to the ceiling (to be covered by the headliner), and completed the metal around the pedal box. I cut a large hole on the top panel for future access to the pedals, brake cylinders, throttle cable, clutch cable, etc. and I created a panel cover door. The firewall extension metal will overlap the access door, but I plan to install the firewall extensions with screws to make that removable also.
While the body was off I took apart the dash, removing all gauges and switches, in order to prep the dash pieces for powder-coating..
I took the dash pieces to Bonehead Performance in Warrington, PA and selected a flat black wrinkle coating. Here is the dash and switch panel re-assembled after powder-coating.
I also took the side-pipes to Bonehead Performance and had them ceramic coated in a silver paint. The traditional Coupe look is white for the pipes, but I went with silver as a matter of personal choice.
Mark Dougherty (The Travelling Builder) spent a day with me. We connected the fuel filler neck to the Le Mans gas cap. FFR provides a metal pipe from the tank which is too long. I removed it from the fuel tank and we cut it down with the angle grinder. Then we tossed the straight piece of fuel hose provided by FFR and used a 45 degree one instead. (Thanks to a post on the forum suggesting the 45 degree hose.) We also worked through 50% of the A/C system and hoses. Still more to do there. One last look at the Coupe before I take it apart for paint. side-
Finally, I loaded the coupe on a Uhaul trailer and pulled it to Metal Morphous in North Haven CT. Here is the Coupe riding my tail.
Ron at MM will do the final fitting of the body, hood and doors, prep and paint (going with the traditional Guardsman Blue with white rally stripes and gumballs), and will install the spoiler and scoops. I also asked Ron to install the headliner after paint and before he puts the body back on. That should save me some pain.
Once Ron has the body and hood off for prep and paint, I may try to bring the chassis back to PA so I can finish off the A/C system, and do a few other things (i.e. install the carpeting, add padding to the roll cage, etc.) If so, I will have to make another trip to bring the chassis back to him when he is ready to re-install the painted body pieces.
In the meantime, I have some A/C fitting to order, and I need to get some sections of the carpet bound. I am also using the opportunity to upgrade my garage floor to Racedeck tiles. Until next update, peace out, or drop the mic, or something trendy.